Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Updating

(If computer analogies are just not your cup of tea, you might want to get a real cup of tea and skip the reading of this entry. Just saying . . .)
I spent about thirty minutes this morning downloading updates for one of my computer programs. The first three of those updates were downloaded and installed in a matter of seconds. I credit my new computer with its faster speed and better memory for the fast processing.
The fourth download (and the last) took the remaining twenty-nine minutes and thirty seconds. I blame the slowness on the software company, the size of the update, and the speed of the internet. I believe that my new computer was as frustrated as I was that this download was so slow to be installed.
Well, it is obvious that I am not a computer genius, but I know enough to understand that software requires updates periodically. I understand that these updates may be for the purpose of fixing a glitch (a technical computer term) in the existing software, adding a new element to the software's functions, simplifying a process, or changing the appearance of the program. It doesn't really matter to me what the update is designed to do, I just accept as a needed change.
While I can easily accept the need for updates on my computer, I have a much more difficult time accepting a needed update for me personally. Some of these may take years to install. Updates related to my eating habits are usually the hardest to install unless they are fried and covered with gravy - those go in fairly rapidly.
My personal updates are mainly supplied from four strategic sources - my wife, office staff, doctor, and God. Those first three sources certainly have my best interests at heart and really do care that I update. Their suggestions carry varied degrees of importance and intensity. The update categories include relational issues, organizational agendas, and diagnostics. Surprisingly, each of those updates that I have eventually downloaded, installed, and utilized have really made a positive difference in my life.
When an update notification comes from the fourth source - God - it is always marked "Urgent," "High Importance," and "Critical." I wish that I could honestly say that I immediately take note, download, install, and begin using the new update. Unfortunately, just like my response to updates from my other main sources, I procrastinate and continue using an older versiion until all support for the old version is withdrawn. Then, and only then, I begin to recognize the real significance of this latest update.
Why did I write this particular entry? Maybe seeing it in print will cause me to become more punctual in keeping my life updated. If I can do that with my computer, I should be able to do it for me even more so. After all, I am a top-of-the-line model created by the Creator who made me in His Image. I should take care of myself because God has placed a high value on me by demonstrating His love for me. Oh, you are also a top-of-the-line model, and He loves you too! Do you happen to have some updates that need to be downloaded and installed? Today might be a good day for it.

No comments: